What Are Topic Clusters
Topic clusters are groups of content that link or point back to a pillar page central topic. This content is different to pillar pages as they offer more in-depth information or answers about your broad topic.
Cluster content will often be centred around a single subject with internal linking opportunities that keep readers on your site. Strategic internal linking is at the heart of a topic cluster content.
Before you start on your topic cluster, it is crucial to have a robust pillar page to link your related topic content clusters.
Some benefits of content clusters:
- More structured content. Topic clusters allow your content to become more structured and organised. By having a comprehensive pillar page that guides the content of your topic clusters.
- Increase SEO Ranking. Creating content clusters fill in the gaps and allow you to target more keywords and topics. Linking your cluster content to your pillar page will improve your SEO ranking and give your topic authority.
- Faster content production. Knowing your cluster content can help speed up your production of them. Topic clusters become easier to create since you have research for your pillar content.
- More detailed content. Writing cluster contents will help avoid overlaps or gaps in your content, allowing you to create a more in-depth page or blog.
Why Are Topic Clusters Important?
Targeting a single keyword was once the only strategy that could bring traffic to your website.
Today targeting entire topics are the key to success, giving your audience all they need on one website. One-off pieces of content may be hurting your authority rank, making cluster content more important than it has ever been.
Here are some points why content clusters are vital today:
- Keyword positions are difficult to calculate, so personalised search has made this ranking more fluid.
- New search algorithms can better understand when multiple search terms are about the same thing, meaning a piece of content can target more than one word. This change now allows you to write about topics and rank for related keywords included in your content.
- Search engines like Google are looking for more trustworthy and authoritative content. The best way to show this is to create valuable and correct content around a topic, but it will not only show authority to your users but search engine bots as well.
- Topic clusters can organise and interconnect your other related content. It allows you to create a website that offers all the information your audience want.
How Can You Create Topic Clusters?
#1: Think about your core topic.
#2: Start your keyword research on your topic.
#3: Create an Outline of your Pillar and Topic Cluster Structure
#4: Create your Content.
#5: Add Internal links between your supporting topic clusters and pillar page.
In conclusion, by understanding topic clusters, you can see how they can complete your content strategy. Content clusters are used to give your audience a more in-depth look at a certain topic, and they can be found on their own or through the link from your pillar page.
Your content strategy could be suffering from one-off pieces of content. A topic cluster could be the missing link in your content strategy, interconnecting topics for a one-stop solution for information.
Thanks for reading! If you found this post helpful, please consider sharing it with a friend!
Not sure how to start your topic cluster strategy?
We are ready to help! Contact us, and let’s talk about your content strategy. We can help support your team, insert some fresh ideas into the process, and magnify the results you are trying to achieve.